Sunday, 1 May 2011

guest blog: how to travel with child and stay fabulous.


so exciting! my first guest blog, straight from the fit and fabulous Charley [she runs www.getfitafterbaby.com - if you haven't perused this site, first read this, then go there. it is not only bookmarked on my pc, but also on my iphone. totes love it.] she has an equally beautiful fam, and amazing words of wisdom to share on how to travel with a toddler, or newb, and not lose your head or handbag. enjoy:

I’m sitting on the plane in the roomy exit row seat.  Ms. 9 months is on my lap.  It is her first time in the air.  Take off is smooth as I discreetly nurse her while we zoom down the runway.  Just when the plane begins to settle into the altitude of choice my beautifully running plan comes crashing down.  (Possible bad choice of words while in a 747).  A two-year old sitting behind us begins to scream at the top of her lungs.  She’s pissed at her mom and wants to show it to everyone.  This of course wakes up Ms. 9 months and makes her so upset she starts to cry.  I frantically soothe her and get her nestled back to sleep.  Silently praying that she will not have to miss this crucial nap as we have a 7 hour travel day ahead of us.

She falls almost asleep when the terror of a two-year old behind us begins again.  And there goes my baby in response, etc.  You get the idea.  Finally, I’ve had enough and consider my options:  go ream out the mom of the two year old and hit her repeatedly over the head with an airline pillow or move all my stuff and the baby to the back of the plane.  I decide to be a big girl and choose the second option.  Here’s the kicker.  As I walk down the aisle people are whispering about me and clapping as I’m walking past them. To confirm my fears, once we get situated at the back I notice the Terrible Two has stopped all her tantrum-ing.  Yep, everyone thinks it was my kid.  Pretty soon I have people coming up to me and saying, “Next time, I would try Benadryl.”  I suppress the urge to run over to the flight attendant speaker phone and announce to the whole plane that I’m a good mom and have a great kid.

Okay, so the goal here is to help you avoid this situation entirely.  Here are some tips on travelling with a baby or toddler that I have now accrued and use as ammunition:

Babies
·         Ask for a bulkhead seat or for the back of the plane.  The bulkheads are big and they will usually even let you spread out a blanket or put something down for the baby to lay on, diaper change on, or for playing.
·         Be prepared to feed the baby.  Wear something conducive to easy, discreet nursing or bring a lot of bottles.  Put powdered formula in them without the liquid and then ask for water and a microwave zap when you’re on the plane.

Toddlers
·         Talk to them about your trip and describe what it will be like.  Get them excited while making sure you throw in some rules ahead of time.
·         Pack carry-ons for your toddlers that contain snacks and activities.  It is true that a kid with an occupied mouth is bound to make less noise.  Bend your boundaries to suit the occasion and maybe pack a special treat. 
·         Let them pull their own carry-on onto the plane, it will give them a sense of responsibility and keep them focused on a task.
·         Do not be embarrassed to discipline.  In fact, people around you will appreciate it.
·         Dress your toddler like a superhero or a princess.  Watch the transformation happen!  Superheros and princesses are most likely going to obey and be protective!

[

No comments:

Post a Comment